Sexual dysfunction occurs when you have difficulty having or enjoying sex, and this causes you distress. Further, sexual dysfunctions are also referred to as sexual disorders. As per the Best Sexologist in Delhi, Dr. Chirag Bhandari, Sexual dysfunction is any issue encountered during a regular sexual engagement, such as physical pleasure, libido, preferences, excitation, or orgasm.
Dr. Bhandari also mentions that sexual health and life quality may be impacted by sexual problems, which can be both physically and emotionally stressful. Yet, sexual issues are quite prevalent and often curable. Also, he mentions that there are several causes of sexual dysfunction, and for numerous individuals, there are multiple causes. Examples of common reasons for sexual dysfunction include:
- Unpleasant sexual encounters
- Anxiety & Fear about sex
- Physiological Issues
- Alcohol usage
- Certain Medications, etc.
Now, let’s look at the Sexual dysfunction types and how to treat them.
Sexual Dysfunction Types
There are four categories of sexual dysfunction. It is expected to sometimes lack excitement. None of the following should be regarded as a disorder unless they often occur and have a significant impact on your sexual life:
- Desire disorder is characterized by a persistent lack of desire in sexual encounters.
- Arousal dysfunction indicates that you are emotionally excited. However, your body is not.
- If you have orgasm dysfunction, you are emotionally in the mood, yet you cannot climax, leaving you unsatisfied.
- Pain disorder entails experiencing pain during sexual activity.
Below, we will discuss these dysfunctions and who experiences sexual dysfunction.
Who Is Affected By Sexual Dysfunction?
So sexual problems are common among men and women, and various causes are there behind various problems. Below we will discuss them all:
Any individual might experience a lack of libido or sexual desire due to low testosterone levels. For women with reproductive organs, further contributing factors involve:
- Hormonal shifts after delivery
Additional reasons include:
- Some medicines for hypertension and diabetes
- Relationship difficulties
- Sexual restraints
Erection & Ejaculation Issues:
These are common sexual dysfunction in men. So men may face erection and ejaculation issues for various psychological and medical reasons.
ED occurs when the penis cannot become or remain erect for sexual activity. This may result from the following:
- difficulty with blood flow
- a nerve condition
- a penis injury
- psychological issues, such as stress or depression
- relational problems
- Peyronie’s disease
- chronic illness
- some drugs
Persistent ED might result in anxiety.
Now, let’s have a look at various ejaculation issues.
- Ejaculation that occurs before or soon after penetration is premature. So this is often the result of performance anxiety.
- Impaired ejaculation refers to the inability to ejaculate in any way. Retrograde ejaculation may occur in individuals with penises, especially those with diabetic neuropathy. So during orgasm, ejaculate reaches the bladder rather than leaving the penis.
Although these conditions may not be health risks yet can cause issues with fertility. Hence, visit your sexologist to get the right treatment.
Pain & Discomfort During Sex:
During sexual activity, several factors might cause discomfort. Insufficient lubrication and stiff vaginal muscles render penetration very unpleasant. Vaginismus, or involuntary vaginal muscular spasms, may make sexual activity painful. Moreover, the hormonal fluctuations of menopause may make intimacy difficult. Skin thinning in the vaginal region may be due to a reduced estrogen level. Additionally, it might weaken the vaginal lining and reduce lubrication.
What are the symptoms of sexual dysfunction?
Depending on the underlying cause and kind of dysfunction, sexual dysfunction symptoms may present in various ways. Included among the symptoms and indicators of sexual dysfunction are:
For males and females:
- loss of libido
- Difficulty arousing oneself
- Pain during sexual activity
- Inability to attain or sustain a complete erection
- Delayed ejaculation or nonexistent when sexually aroused.
- Premature ejaculation
- The incapability of achieving orgasm
- Vaginal dryness
- Dyspareunia – Sexually-related pain that may be caused by spasms of the vaginal muscle or vulva inflammation(vulvodynia)
What causes sexual dysfunction?
Numerous factors might pose problems in your sexual life. This includes specific medications (oral contraceptives and chemotherapy), illnesses (diabetes or hypertension), excessive alcohol consumption, and vaginal and urinary infections. Depression, interpersonal issues, and abuse are among other factors (current or past).
Hormones have a role in both male and female sexual disorders. Low levels of male and female hormones reduce sexual desire. Men and women drop hormone levels as they age. Additionally, the strains of daily living may create sexual dysfunction at any age. Fatigue caused by demanding work or caring for small children may diminish sex drive.
No matter what are sexual dysfunction causes, there are various treatment options. Find them below.
How is sexual dysfunction treated?
The underlying cause governs treatment. Occasionally, addressing the underlying medical problem may fix the issue. In certain instances, changing drugs may be effective.
The therapy of erectile dysfunction has evolved significantly in recent years. Utilizing prescription drugs like Viagra yields beneficial benefits for many guys. Other treatments include mechanical assistance, penile implants, and surgical procedures.
Vaginal dryness may be treated with lubricating gels, lotions, or hormone treatment.
If psychological causes are causing sexual dysfunction, psychological counselling can significantly help. A therapist may instruct you on stress and anxiety management. Additionally, counselling with your spouse might aid in enhancing communication and intimacy.
Sexual dysfunction may happen to anyone at any moment. Yet, some causes can indicate a health condition. If you observe such symptoms, contact the experts at IASH Delhi.